Digital Citizenship has become a topic we touch on every day in our class because our programme revolves around the use of Google Apps.
We are making it a priority in our staff meetings also to get teachers continuously thinking about not only digital citizenship with their students and also their own personal digital citizenship as adults. Interesting rich discussions have taken place around this topic but there is far more to explore and dive into.
Further to this, I was involved in a thought provoking thread in a mummy's Facebook group I am part of. The discussion revolved around what photos parents post of their children. Some people felt it was fine to share all photos including toilet training, nappy rashes, bath time etc and others (including myself) feel that some consideration is needed as our little people don't yet have a say about what we are posting about them.
I found this picture on-line which illustrates the point really well.
I am constantly thinking about this in regards to the photos I and others post of my daughter on Facebook. She isn't able to tell me what she is OK with me sharing about her. When I was little, all Mum and Dad had were photo albums. Embarrassing photos were only ever shared with people who came over to see the albums. The photos were no where near as accessible as they are today. With a few clicks on the computer photos can now be uploaded into the digital world and are there forever.
So what sort of digital citizen are you being? What information are you sharing with the world? What is the reason for the sharing? Who can see your personal stuff? What are you privacy settings?

COOL!
ReplyDelete